Monday, November 30, 2009

Graduation = lame

I graduate in May, and as you may have realized from the title of this blog, I'm not happy about it. I don't love the actual school part including projects, papers, exams and yes, even sometimes these blogs, but I do love being here. One of the reasons I think that I am so not looking forward to graduation is the fact that when I leave here, I will be doing a job that isn't so ideal. Yes, it's with a good company, hopefully making decent money but it has nothing to do with what I've been learning for 4 years. Why not just look for another job? Easier said than done, I use the internet for job searching every single week. I'd say on average I am applying for 4 jobs a week and usually don't hear much back.

So I started thinking about how I can use technology, as many of our guest speakers have, to do what I want to do. I've always had a knack for organizing events, people and coming up with themes. Over the past few years I've realized that I could use my talent for something that's pretty popular today... wedding planning! However, you don't just "make it" as a wedding planner, you have to show that you're good at it and lucky for me the majority of my friends will be tying the knot within the next decade or so.

Going along with what some of the speakers have done, I've decided to use technology to help this wedding planning idea come along. I'm going to create a website with all the information people need to know when wedding planning. By doing research, I have started organizing information based on location as to bakeries, florists, venues, wedding dress shops etc. and plan to put it on the website. Once I start actually planning the weddings, I will create websites for each individual wedding and place them on the website so future brides and grooms can see my work and hopefully ask for my business.

My best friend got engaged this past summer. I plan to make her and her finace a wedding webpage for their family and friends to keep up with the wedding, give ideas, well wishes and overall be able to see the process of the wedding. It will also give me a chance to try out my web design skills. She doesn't know about it yet so SHH don't tell her ;)

2 comments:

  1. I agree that graduation=lame!!
    I love your idea... are you hiring!?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graduation is totally lame! I am really sad to see my time at Purdue ending. But Good Luck with your future!

    ReplyDelete